Lesson 5 – Calling on the Name of the Lord
Isaiah. 12:3-4a Therefore you will draw water with rejoicing / From the springs of salvation, / And you will say in that day, / Give thanks to Jehovah; call upon His name!
Romans. 10:12b-13 For the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him; for “whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Lamentations. 3:55-56 I called upon Your name, / O Jehovah, / From the lowest pit. / You have heard my voice; do not hide / Your ear at my breathing, at my cry.
- The definition of calling on the name of the Lord:
- The accurate meaning is to call out audibly “Lord Jesus, O Lord Jesus”; it is also to cry out to the Lord, and to experience spiritual breathing. 1
- By calling on the name of the Lord, we receive the Spirit. 2
- The name denotes the person. Jesus is the Lord’s name, and the Spirit is His person. When we call, “Lord Jesus,” we receive the Spirit.
- The purpose of calling on the name of the Lord:
- The practice of calling on the name of the Lord:
- I called upon Your name, / O Jehovah, / From the lowest pit. / You have heard my voice; do not hide / Your ear at my breathing, at my cry. (Lamentations 3:55-56)
- And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Acts 2:21)
- In my distress I called upon Jehovah / And cried out to my God. / He heard my voice from His temple, / And my cry before Him came to His ears. (Psalm 18:6)
- And call upon Me in the day of trouble: / I will deliver you, and you will glorify Me. (Psalm 50:15)
- I will take up the cup of salvation / And call upon the name of Jehovah. (Psalm 116:13)
- For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him. (Romans 10:12)
- And there is no one who calls upon Your name, / Who stirs himself up to lay hold of You; / For You have hidden Your face from us / And have consumed us by our iniquities. (Isaiah 64:7)
- But flee youthful lusts, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2:22)
- I am Jehovah your God, /Who brought you up out of the land of Egypt / Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it. (Psalm 81:10)
- My eye wastes away at the affliction; / I have called out to You, / O Jehovah, every day; / I have spread out my hands to You. (Psalm 88:9)