Lesson 4 – The Trinity
Isa. 9:6 For a child is born to us, / A Son is given to us; / And the government / Is upon His shoulder; / And His name will be called / Wonderful Counselor, / Mighty God, / Eternal Father, / Prince of Peace.
1 Cor. 15:45b …The last Adam became a life-giving Spirit.
Matt. 3:16-17 And having been baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon Him. And behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, This is My Son, the beloved, in whom I have found My delight.
- The two main aspects of the Divine Trinity
- The essential Trinity refers to the essence of the Triune God for His existence.
- The economical Trinity refers to His plan for His move.
- The aspect of the essential Trinity—the Son being the embodiment of the Father and the Spirit being the reality of the Son 1, 2
- The aspect of the economical Trinity—the Father is the Originator, the Son is the Accomplisher, and the Spirit applies to God’s elect what the Son has accomplished 6, 7, 8, 9
- The Father spoke in heaven concerning the Son, the Son stood in the water on the earth, and the Spirit soared as the dove in the air 10
- The Father chose the believers before the foundation of the world in eternity past, the Son redeemed them in time, and the Spirit seals them after they believe in the Son 11, 12, 13
- For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily. (Colossians 2:9)
- And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter, that He may be with you forever, even the Spirit of reality, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him; but you know Him, because He abides with you and shall be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you. (John 14:16-18)
- For a child is born to us, / A Son is given to us; / And the government / Is upon His shoulder; / And His name will be called / Wonderful Counselor, / Mighty God, / Eternal Father, / Prince of Peace.
- …The last Adam became a life-giving Spirit. (1 Corinthians 15:45b)
- And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. But we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting like a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:17-18)
- And to enlighten all that they may see what the economy of the mystery is, which throughout the ages has been hidden in God, who created all things. (Ephesians 3:9)
- Then Jesus answered and said to them, Truly, truly, I say to you, The Son can do nothing from Himself except what He sees the Father doing, for whatever that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner. (John 5:19)
- Jesus therefore said to them, When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am, and that I do nothing from Myself, but as My Father has taught Me, I speak these things. (John 8:28)
- But when He, the Spirit of reality, comes, He will guide you into all the reality; for He will not speak from Himself, but what He hears He will speak; and He will declare to you the things that are coming. (John 16:13)
- And having been baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon Him. And behold, a voice out of the heavens, saying, This is My Son, the Beloved, in whom I have found My delight. (Matthew 3:16-17)
- Even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world to be holy and without blemish before Him in love. (Ephesians 1:4)
- To the praise of the glory of His grace, with which He graced us in the Beloved; in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of offenses, according to the riches of His grace. (Ephesians 1:6-7)
- In whom you also, having heard the word of the truth, the gospel of your salvation, in Him also believing, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of the promise. (Ephesians 1:13)